Oddjob is a villain who was included as a special bonus character for Multi Mode by the Rare team in GoldenEye 007. Oddjob is not included in any of the mission stages. He can also be seen in the cast list that plays during both the opening (if GoldenEye 007 is fully completed) and ending credits. There were speculations/rumors, that Oddjob may have been appearing in Dam or even Archives, but that does not seem true. These may have been hoaxes, as well.
Multiplayer[edit | edit source]
- Oddjob is the 11th character in the roster.
- He is the shortest character in the game, despite Oddjob as he appeared in the original film being about average height. It seems likely that he was confused with the actually diminutive Nick Nack from The Man with the Golden Gun, though possible he was deliberately made short to balance the option of a very tall player (Jaws) with a very short player.
- He has the shortest line of sight.
- His character model seems to be based on the actor who played him, Harold Sakata. His portrait does not.
- He is one of three characters in the game with a darker tone of skin, including Baron Samedi and Mayday. However, his tone of skin is slightly lighter then theirs.
- He becomes permanently available after the Antenna Cradle stage has been beaten.
- Due to his short height, he cannot be hit by the normal auto-aim gunfire (which simply shoots above his head). Instead the other player must stop moving to use the precise aim crosshairs to aim downward and deliberately at him. Because of this, Oddjob gives his user an unfair advantage and his use is often looked down upon.
- GoldenEye’s Gameplay and engine programmer Mark Edmonds was quoted in an interview saying "“It’s definitely cheating to play as Oddjob! We could have put something in to stop this blatant cheating, but why not just let players decide on their own rules?”
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Oddjob made his only appearance in the film Goldfinger, where he served as the top henchman for gold enthusiast Auric Goldfinger.
- Harold Sakata is the only person to have ever played the role of Oddjob, and his likeness is used in game. The actor was of average height.
- There is a rumor that Oddjob appears in Archives, but this is an untrue speculation. Furthermore, similar speculation is said about him appearing in the Dam level, under a certain grate, which is also incorrect.
- Oddjob is ultimately a deceased character, as in the film, Bond kills him with an electric cable.
- There is a possibility, that Oddjob may have been misplaced with henchman Nick-Nack of Francisco Scaramanga, from the movie The Man With The Golden Gun.